Caritas Jerusalem is providing medical services through a mobile clinic in three of the most marginalized areas:
- Al-Sawarha area, in the middle of Gaza Strip: a rural area with very limited access to medical services. In Sawarha, Caritas is working through the local partner: Rural Women Development Society.
- Al-Mawasi area, south of Gaza Strip: another rural area, set between Khan Younis city and Rafah city. Al-Mawasi area used to be part of an Israeli settlement and was re-inhabited by Palestinians after 2005. In Mawasi, Caritas is working through its local partner: The Charitable Ahali Al Mawasi Society.
- Al-Shoka area, south of the Gaza strip: a marginalized area with very limited access to medical services. The area is located near the borders which make it hard to access during political unrest times. In Shoka, Caritas is working through its local partner: The assembly benevolent of operation “Al-Tadamon”.
The medical services provided are as follow;
- Primary health care services for sick children.
- Antenatal health care for pregnant women.
- Health care services for patients of NCDs (Hypertension and Diabetes)
- Primary health care services for sick children
The Caritas medical outreach team will target 2100 children under the age of 12; 700 from each area. Children is being admitted into the program and treated for common diseases such as providing antibiotics for infections, paracetamol for feverish child, anti-parasitic drugs for intestinal parasites and nutritional supplements for malnourished children. Children with diarrheal disorders is also been provided with the proper medication.
A total of 649 children have been treated in the three mentioned areas since the beginning of the project until the end of January 2017.
- Antenatal health care for pregnant women
Our medical team reach out to all the pregnant women in the three mentioned areas to provide them with periodical check-ups, medications and nutritional supplements according to Caritas gynecologist prescription.
1200 pregnant women will be targeted; 400 from each area.
- Health care services for patients of NCDs (Hypertension, and Diabetes)
Our medical team provide screening for people with NCD’s above the age of 40 to refer them to our specialized physician in order to receive suitable medications. We also provide any necessary lab tests needed for the patients.
Furthermore, patients with diabetes have been receiving a free blood sugar testing device with the instructions on how to use it.